Woot! I actually got some stuff done this weekend. HOLLER. I cut out my fabric for the Apronalong….
And also bought the pattern and fabric for my niece (The Nugget)’s birthday dress. Luckily, she’s a New Year’s baby, so I’ve got loads of time. I decided to cut out the pieces and start working on the bodice today, taking advantage of some time at my in-laws’ to use my MIL’s really nice cutting table. Here’s the fabric pre-cutting:
Nugget picked the fabric. I’m calling it “Nugget’s Barbie Fantasy: MacStabby’s Barbie Nightmare,” haha. I’ll be using Simplicity’s 2463. As I said, I started working on the bodice (no photos because light is fading). I’m hoping it will work out alright- she’s a strange size so I’ll have to do some alterations, eeks! My sister and I measured her at the craft store, and she’s a size 3 around and a size 5 tall. No wonder my sister can never find clothes to fit her! Well, I cut out all the pieces for a size 5, and sewed the bodice and lining up. They looked enormous, so I took in all the seams 1/4″, for an inch total. I’m hoping that will be enough, if she grows a little bit before her birthday. I also shortened the dress length about 4 or 5 inches (I just went up to the first “tuck” line for one of the other makes). Adorability the Nugget has in spades, but graceful she is not. I’m hoping to avoid tripping issues.
Sewing up went alright- I avoided too much puckering of the slippery-ass fabric by pinning within an inch of my life and using newspaper to stabilize the fabric. It had worked when I made my Jem costume for Halloween last year, so I was happy with the decent results I’ve gotten so far.
It’s going well, but I’ve got to stop for a couple days for a test in Chicago on Tuesday (Boooooo!). Can’t wait to get back going on my sewing when I get back, now that I’ve got projects started!